Wells Fargo Mural Honors Oakland History
The new Wells Fargo Bank at Foothill Square includes a indoor mural that honors Oakland’s past with historical photos. This mural is part of Wells Fargo’s community mural program which is intended to tell the stories of each region.
The public may view the mural during store hours from Monday through Saturday from 9 AM to 6 PM.
Measuring 31.5 feet wide by 2.5 feet high this photo collage mural was installed in April 2014. The mural was designed by Anne Marie Lapitan with photos provided by the Oakland Public Library, Dunsmuir-Hellman Estate, Oakland Zoo, the National Archives and Records Administration, the Library of Congress and the Wells Fargo Corporate Archives.
Below are details of the most prominent Oakland images.
Circa 1940, this Oakland saxophone quartet was part of the West Coast jazz scene.
Oakland resident arranging flowers in 1940.
Gladys Theus, one of the many women who worked as welders during World War II in the Oakland Kaiser shipyards.
Built in 1899 in a neoclassical-revival style the Dunsmuir House is located east of Foothill Square.
An Oakland Victorian home in the late 1800s.
Located where Foothill Square now stands this factory was run by the Hall-Scott Motor Company to make auto parts for the Fageol Motors Company. Circa early 1900s.
The Fageol Motors Company was founded in Oakland in 1916 to build trucks, tractors and cars.
Wells Fargo Express Wagons in Downtown Oakland in 1906 and a Wells Fargo shipping label from the Oakland Depot, c. late 1800s.